The Engine Model is the conceptual foundation for our measure, but we present the items to students in the order that makes them easiest to answer. Results from our cognitive process interviews with students indicate that students typically understand the items better if we start by presenting the outcome items.
Below are the items from the Meaning dimension in the exact order that students see them. For the purposes of illustration, we have divided them into their Engine Model categories; students do not see those categories in the actual measure.
Meaning Dimension Items
- My life feels meaningful to me
- I do something meaningful with my life every day
- I live my life in a meaningful way
- I can talk to my parents/guardians about what I find meaningful in life
- I have found faculty or staff at my school I can talk to about things I find meaningful in life
- I have friends or classmates at my school I can talk to about things I find meaningful in life
- I have taken courses at my school that have made me think about what I find meaningful in life
- I know what I find meaningful in life
- I know what my values are
- My life matters in the world
- I see the world as full of possibilities
- I have a sense of how I fit in the world